You can try to avoid grief, and push it back, but it remains, fixed, immutable. How you talk to it is about all the control you have, like trying to reason with a drunk.
Just trying to get through the days. There's no drink strong enough, and not green or beer or wine or spirts or distraction enough in the world to escape my sadness. So I stumble through. Some days are better than others. When I manage to get things done, whether cleaning the bathroom or vacuuming around the house, it's a small victory, to be sure, but a victor nonetheless. Know what evidence of bereavement is? It is going to the downstairs bathroom and seeing piles of dust bunnies along the trim, a filth that has accrued during my two months of taking care of my sister, and living in two cities alternately, and not bothering to clean it. I don't clean them the mess up, because. there is too much to do elsewhere in the house. In fact, there is two months' worth of things to catch up and resume some sort of semblance of a life. I think about writing a lot. I let the most baroque ideas of the past weeks return from their safe submersion in the well, then let them age, li...
Damn it. Despite my diversions and crises, from power outages to partner's surgery to a new library job to a shifting schedule to the sadness of friends moving away to legions of seething self-doubt, it's time. It's time to return to revising my second horror novel, Monstrous.
Focus seems the first casualty when it comes to using technology these days. Whether you're on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or your drug, I mean social media, of choice, I feel that we are made to feel that everything should keep coming at us, from notifications (which you can deactivate) to program updates (which you can't) to videos or audio playing on your phone (which you think you can stop ... but you can't) to ads progressively creeping into your apps (which, again, you can't stop, except for after the fact). I read somewhere recently that the most precious thing we can have is our focus and that with our phones, these supercomputers in the palms of our hands, we readily hand over our focus. Sometimes it can be a good thing. Connecting with friends, family or loved. Finding out about something you're passionate about, whether art, music, books or comics. Or maybe you want to keep track of the snowfall today (it's Canada) or the news or something you are f...
Comments
Post a Comment